I’m back.It feels like it’s been forever since I’ve written. Started teaching on Mondays and that means I always forget to write.
Today? I have a few moments. And I share this! The critiques with the agent at full, however, Fly on the Wall has spaces on each day.
Agent Writing Workshop
Erin Harris, Literary Agent at Folio Jr.
A writing event for serious
(but still fun) writers
Erin Harris will kick off this two-day event for writers with a keynote speech at BYU:
“Everything You Want to Know about Working With an Agent”
Wednesday, February 22, 2017, 5:30 to 7:00 p.m.
JFSB B190, Brigham Young University Campus
Free and open to the public
(First come, first serve. Sitting in aisles and doorways will NOT be permitted.)
2nd Annual Literary Agent Workshop
A Day with Erin Harris Workshop Schedule
Thursday, Friday, and Saturday February 23, 24, and 25, 2017
8:45 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
- Private Consultations and Small-Group Critiques: You’ll find the Thursday through Saturday consultation-with-Erin schedules at the end of the day schedule and some tips on handling critique in a group setting.
- First Pages Critique: If you want to be considered for the first pages critique at the end of your workshop day (3:15 to 5:00 p.m.), email the first 250 to 300 words of a book of your choosing to firstname.lastname@example.org before Wednesday, February 22, 2017. We will choose the first pages to read at the time of the critique via a drawing. CAUTION: Be prepared to hear honest critique, which means you may not hear what you want to hear, and you may even get your feelings hurt. First pages critiques can be brutal, so consider carefully before you submit your 250 words.
Thursday through Saturday, February 23-25, 2017
Detailed Day Schedule
8:45 a.m. to 9:00 a.m.: Check in time
9:00 to 9:50
Introductions and presentation by Erin Harris
10:00 to 12:00
- Private critiques with Erin begin
- 10:00 to 12:00: Cheri and Carol’s Dog and Pony Show: Conflict, Characters, and Voice PLUS Why Good Things Happen to Bad Books: a Brutal Discussion That Will Most Likely Hurt Feelings
Noon to 1:30 p.m.: Potluck Lunch—mingle and make new friends. Sign up for critique groups. Get to know Erin and Cheri and Carol.
A-G- Please bring a main dish.
H-R- Please bring a side dish.
S-Z- Please bring a dessert.
1:15 to 3:15
- Private critiques with Erin continue
- 1:30 to 3:15: Put Your Writing Where Your Mouth Is: Writing Activities with Carol and Cheri
Potty Break at 3:15; you know who you are.
3:30 to 5:00
First Pages Critique: Not recommended for the faint hearted. *Submit first 250-300 words of your novel via email before Wednesday February 22; see special instructions.
5:00 to 5:30
Final thoughts and Q&A with Erin
Want to join us?
For enrollment and payment information: contact Stephanie Moore at stephaniemoorewrites (at) gmail (dot) com (additional instructions when you enroll)
Which Writing Workshop experience would you like to have?
- Workshop with Private Critique. Full workshop plus a 15-minute critique session with Erin Harris (15 spaces only). $110 ($99 for BYU Students and SCBWI members.)
- Fly-on-the-wall. Full workshop without a critique session. $35
- Small–Group Critique Session. , Cheri, or Carol will conduct each critique session, 4 writers each. (12 spaces only). $25 in addition to the workshop fees ($110, $99, or $25)
Erin Harris: Literary agent with Folio Jr, NYC (see more at foliojr.com)
Carol Lynch Williams (author of more than 30 mid-grade and YA books, BYU creative writing instructor)
Cheri Pray Earl (author of the Just in Time Series, BYU creative writing instructor)